Welcome to this special edition of the Backroad Mapbook series. This book focuses on the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks an interconnected system of provincial and national parks covering more than 30,000 square kilometres (18,630 square miles) of one of Canada's most beautiful territories. These parks vary in popularity and access yet they all have the standard towering mountain peaks, rushing rivers, ancient glaciers, wildflower-filled meadows, brilliant blue lakes and dense forests that make up this outdoor paradise. With so much area to explore, it can be overwhelming trying to decide on where to go. Luckily, our Canadian Rockies Mapbook provides a well-organized and easy-to-use breakdown of the region's parks to help you decide on the adventure that is right for you. With state-of-the-art topographic maps, detailed trip-planning resources and meticulously researched adventure listings, our 4th Edition Mapbook will ensure you make the most out of your Rockies experience.
This updated edition covers in detail Banff, Jasper, Kootenay and Yoho National Parks as well as the major provincial parks flanking these gems. Each park features a park overview or detailed recreation map (depending on the size of the park), along with detailed trail or city maps for popular areas within most parks. Map updates include regular road and trail updates, refinement of camping locations to include campsite number, history of the parks, additional Points of Interest and Trailhead locations were added, while fish species were added to the lakes and maps.
The printed version of the mapbook comes in the convenient 21.5 x 28 cm (8.5 x 11 inch) mapbook format with a heavy-duty spiral-bound cover. The 216-page book includes 71 maps of various scales, along with comprehensive coverage of eleven National and Provincial Parks. Each park offers invaluable insight into the park's outdoor activities, places to stay and Things to See and Do. The book also features Tips & Techniques for the main activities, a Map and Adventure Index, Trip-Planning tools and more. No other source combines this level of detail into one source, making it the perfect planning tool and companion to any trip through the Rocky Mountain parks.
- Map Key & Legend
- Tips & Techniques / Adventure Featured
- Rock Climbing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Activities
- Topographic Maps
- 45 @ 1:250,000 Scale Maps
- 26 Overview and Detailed Park & Topographic Maps of various scales
- Banff National Park - 1:750,000 park overview map 3 detailed topographic maps ranging from 1:50,000 to 1:110,000 for Banff townsite, Canmore to Minnewanka Lake & Lake Louise area
- Elk Lakes Provincial Park - 1:90,000 detailed topographic park map
- Height of the Rockies Provincial Park - 1:200,000 park map plus a 1:80,000 scale Connor Lakes area topographic map
- Jasper National Park - 1:900,000 park overview map 2 detailed topographic maps ranging from 1:50,000 to 1:80,000 for Jasper townsite & Maligne Lake area
- Kakwa Inter-Provincial - 1:270,000 topographic park map
- Kootenay National Park - 1:300,000 park overview map 2 detailed topographic maps ranging from 1:15,000 to 1:50,000 for Radium Hot Springs and Marble Canyon areas
- Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park - 1:130,000 detailed park map plus a 1:50,000 scale Lake Magog area topographic map
- Mount Robson Provincial Park - 1:380,000 topographic park map, Berg Lake Trail (1:50,000), Yellowhead Lake (1:30,000), Robson River and Meadows Campgrounds (1:17,000)
- Peter Lougheed Provincial Park - 1:170,000 park map plus a 1:60:000 scale Kananaskis Lakes area topographic map
- Willmore Provincial Park - 1:600,000 park map
- Yoho National Park 1:220,000 park map 3 detailed topographic maps ranging from 1:40,000 to 1:100,000 for Field-Emerald Lake-Yoho Valley and Lake O'Hara areas
- Parks Featured
- Banff National Park
- Elk Lakes Provincial Park
- Jasper National Park
- Kakwa Wildland Provincial Park
- Kootenay National Park
- Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park
- Mount Robson Provincial Park
- Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
- Willmore Wilderness Provincial Park
- Yoho National Park
- Great Divide Trail
- Adventure Index
- Map Index
- Trip Planning Tools
Very knowledgeable and extremely helpful, super friendly and great variety of product.
They've got anything you could need. It's a huge selection, which is surprising for a small town shop. They're amazing people and Collin can answer any questions you have. His knowledge is impressive.
I recently spent a weekend with a close group of friends fly fishing along with Colin and team - incredible preparation & professionalism, quality camp equipment and fishing gear and just a first class operation overall. I would and highly recommend RMFS to any and all fishing skill levels interested in enjoying themselves on the water. It was a really positive experience for our group.
Congrats to Colin and Tammy on the move to their new location in downtown Olds! The prices are fair, they have a great selection and the shipping is lighting fast. Best sticker offerings I have seen south of Red Deer as a kicker.
I had a fabulous lesson with Jordan from Rocky Mountain Fly Shop. We went out on the water and he tailored the lesson to my experience and skill level. We touched on casting, fly selection and an introduction to reading water. It was all hands on and I walked away with the confidence to try new things this summer. It was a perfect morning and I'll definitely do it again.